[pct-l] cook pots & intro

About the pots, I was just telling my aussie co-worker about the strange
little titanium/aluminum war that has been waged on the pct-l.  She said
straight off that the aluminium stuff is a myth and cited Dr. Karl a famous
DJ from australian public radio who is also a PhD in astrophysics or
something.  See the link below if you are curious:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/q&a/031030-5.htm

after all this guy just won an ignoble award for his grand study of belly
button lint.  However, I have a tendency to think this is true, if so it was
a royal screw up for the people who originally published this study.  It
must be painful to sheepishly retract such an eye opening, funding bonanza
paper.

Intro: I've been on the list for about a year and a half.  My name is
Christy Pruett, I have wanted to do the PCT since I did the AT way back in
93 when I was a mere child of 23.  If you do the math I'm 34.  I live in
College Station, Texas where I am a post-doc in the Wildlife & Fisheries
Dept. at Texas A&M (home of the fighting Aggies).  I have been going to
school forever and am now finally finished, I think.  I don't have a
permanent job but need to get one soon or else become a casualty of
academia.  So I am thinking about thru-hiking next summer, but have to
summon the courage and submit as many research papers as possible before I
go flake out (that's what everyone else thinks of my hike plus I often hear
career suicide).

I love what I do, most of the time, and have worked really hard to get here.
  I used to watch nature on pbs as a kid and I wanted to be one of those
people running around in the woods looking at birds... I made it sort of.  I
work on bird and fish population genetics/evolutionary ecology.  I love
birds and that is one of the major reasons I love hiking.  I can't wait to
go out, especially into the desert and see some nice roadrunners, western
tanagers, scott's orioles, california quail, and whatever else flies, sings
or runs by.

As for all the first time thru-hikers, I had never been backpacking or in
fact car camping when I did the AT.  I met quite a few people just like me
who carried too much stuff, got loads of blisters, got a bit wiser, and made
it to Katahdin.  If you go, you've overcome the biggest hurdle.  Now I just
need to take a risk and do it too.

Although, I am here at A&M I just have to say GO SOONERS!

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over
limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es