Bears & Losing weight (Was Re: [pct-l] yet another intro)

That reminds me, I'm afraid of lightning too :)

On bears ... maybe only 133 people have been killed by bears in the past
century, but that doesn't count the people who just had their heads
chomped on (the guy in Rocky Mountain this summer lived with only minor
scarring).  Anyway, I know chances are still essentially nil.

That's strange about people getting sick in the Sierra.  All the articles
I've read about treating/not-treating water seem to use the Sierra as an
example.  It seems as though Giardia is not really a problem there and
many people do not treat their water in the Sierra (I'm assuming these
poeple don't get sick.  Otherwise they'd start treating).  I had convinced
myself that treating water isn't necessary for my 04 PTC hike (I rarely
treat in the Rockies).  Maybe I should re-think that.  I'd hate to have to
bother with that.  Anyway, I don't want to start a water treatment war so
I'll stop now.

Steve