Bears & Losing weight (Was Re: [pct-l] yet another intro)

At 11:46 AM 11/6/2003 -0700, Steve Setzer wrote:
>Biggest fears ... losing to much weight (I'm already skinny and have a
>crazy metabolism) and - don't laugh - bears.

If weight loss is a concern, consider treating your water, especially in
the Sierra. I've no clear idea why, but more people got the runs there than
anywhere else on the trail. The gestation time of giardia is 1-2 weeks and
for cryptosporidium it's 2-10 days (according to the CDC). So, it may be
hikers contracted their bugs early in the Sierra (the Kern river?) or before.

I'm also skinny, have a crazy metabolism (bodyfat - 11%), but I gained 20
pounds on my hike. It took a few months after my hike before I could fit
into all my pants again. Town food may have been a bit too good to me. I
ate a full kilogram a day, more when I got cold.

To be honest, I'm scared of any animal willing and able to demolish a car
just to get a candy bar. However, black bears and grizzly bears killed 133
people in North America in the past century (Herreo, Where Bears Attack).
However there's an average of 73 deaths attributable to lightning every
year (NOAA).

Tangent