Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:55:15 EST
From: Bighummel@aol.com
Subject: [pct-l] Teach Your Children

Keep the introductions coming.  It is good to
hear of your hiking roots and
how the concept of the PCT came to grow in your
mind.

One of the themes that I am catching from the
many introductions is that
many/most found their love of hiking and camping
in their youth, as children.  I
thank my parents for this introduction to the
wilderness and its virtues and,
of course, I am trying to pass it on to my
children.

I enjoy taking them to some of the fantastic
spots in the Sierra and in the
Channel Islands and other great places and they
look forward to the next one
and now are getting into the planning.  I look
forward to my first overnight
campout with my 3 1/2 year old daughter and she
bugs me about this constantly as
she missed going hiking with her older brothers
this summer.

I hope that one of them will follow in my
footsteps, or better yet hike side
by side with me along the PCT again!  I know that
this is a vain hope and that
they will do what they find to love and not what
I try to teach them to love.

Greg Hummel
"Strider"