[pct-l] Sierra vs Sierras

At 11:17 PM 11/5/2003 -0600, yogi yogi wrote:
>very funny, Redwood!!!!
>
>Except that it's the exact opposite for me.  I order a "Sierra Nevada" beer.
>
>But I'm not sure if I should say "when I hiked the Sierra" or "when I
>hiked the Sierras"

"The Sierras" is considered incorrect when referring to the Sierra Nevada
range as there is only one range. The Sierra, the High Sierra or the Sierra
Nevada Mountain range are all appropriate.

John Muir's first writing of the mountains was "My First Summer in The
Sierra." When Muir talks of the mountains, it's poetic. You can read parts
of it at:
http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/frameindex.html?http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/writings/my_first_summer_in_the_sierra/

Tangent