[pct-l] Bishop Pass trail

Hi, I'm planning a JMT hike with my wife next summer and was wondering
if anyone out there had any info on the side trail from the JMT to South
Lake via Bishop Pass. From looking at the topo maps I can see that the
trail involves quite a bit of climbing and that it is significantly
longer than the Kearsarge Pass Trail, but I'd still appreciate any info
anyone has on the trail in case we need to break our trip at this point.
The things I was wondering are:

1. Is the trail in reasonable condition (compared to say the JMT)?
2. Is it scenic?
3. How easy is it to hitch from the trailhead near South lake to Bishop
(& vice versa)?
4. What sort of facilities are available in Bishop (eg grocery stores,
accommodation, etc)?

Thanks,

Ashley Wright

This message contains information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463  or info@linz.govt.nz) and destroy the original message.
LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ.

Thank you.