[pct-l] Introduction

Hi Teisha,

I had a golden retriever for 8 years, unfortunately, cancer took him a
couple years ago.  What a great hiking friend though!  If you do get one
I would strongly encourage you to get her used to booties and a pack as
soon as possible.  We didn't and when we finally tried when he was 9 -
10 months old there was NO WAY he would put up with them.  As I'm sure
you know, there are a lot of areas around here with volcanic rock that
will shred a dogs pads, I'm thinking specifically of the Three Sisters &
Mt. Washington area.  The area from McKenzie pass to Belknap crater can
trash human shoes!

As an aside, my wife informed me we'll be getting a hiking companion of
our own when our house is done in approx. 3 months, (there's now a
golden retriever calendar on our refrigerator!).  My question for those
who backpack with dogs is what kind of shelter do you use?  We currently
use either a golite cave 1 or a europa tent.  I'm thinking a larger tarp
might work...

David - also in Oregon
david@dalbey.org