[pct-l] shoes

In a message dated 11/5/03 4:41:10 AM, chwillet@indiana.edu writes:

<< During my Pacific Crest Trail hike, I used four pairs of shoes. Since
their are a plethora of trail running shoes out there, this might help
people make a decision. >>

Well, heck since were describing footwear worn on the PCT, I might as well
chime in: Started at Campo with a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter Hiking boots
that already had about 500 miles of use. Got one small heel blister pounding down
the pavement from the trail head to Idylwild
  Feet stayed dry throughout the Sierras despite numerous creek crossings (I
take off socks and wear boots across the biggies. The short exposure to water
isn't enough to get the leather soaking wet.) Had no problem with traction
thanks to a big fat triple e Vibram lug sole
  Boots finally wore out at Castella so I had a brand new unbroken in pair
sent to Seiad Valley.  Laced them up and wore these brand new boots up that
steep hill out of Seiad Valley - you know the one -- for seventeen miles with no
discomfort or blisters at all.
   Completed the last 1000 mile in these boots with no blisters and wore them
for work and hiking AND climbing (including Rainier) for all of 2000, 2001
and 2002 before they finally wore out. Currently using a new pair
 Cannot give a review on other footwear because I haven't tried anything
else. Can't see any reason to give up such a comfortable utilitarian piece of gear
to save a pound, especially when the replacement has so many drawbacks:
durability and lots of wet feet to name two.