[pct-l] Re: cook pots

At 07:48 PM 11/4/2003 +0000, Di-low wrote:
>And I hear that the fear of Aluminum induced Alzheimer's has been proven
>to be false.  Although this is hearsay.  If any one knows other wise, or
>can provide more details (i'm too lazy and busy to search the web now)
>please pass on any URLs.

Di-low, you are mostly right, but there is more information:

Ingesting any heavy metal is toxic in sufficient amounts, including
aluminum. Intake of aluminium will can cause dementia according to the NIH:

http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/Aluminumalt.pdf

Though Andrew Weil states that aluminium cookware is safe in "Eating Well
For Optimum Health," I would be willing to bet he was referring to
hard-anodized aluminum. The anodized surface keeps the aluminium from
reacting with foods and liquids, particularly those high in acids. Though I
have not looked at it, I'd also bet the inexpensive Wal-Mart grease pot is
a simple, low-gauge aluminum pot without any coating. A non-anodized pot
will pit, stain and oxidize slightly.

I have never seen a non-anodized aluminium pot sold with the intention of
cooking. My old, ultra-heavy MSR aluminum cookware was anodized.

This may make you wonder about soda cans. Aluminum soda cans store acidic
liquids, but contain a plastic film on the inside to prevent the aluminium
from reacting with the drink. A common chem lab experiment is to dissolve
an aluminium can in an acid solution, however you have to deal with the
plastic film on the inside:

http://www.spacegrant.hawaii.edu/ScienceDemos/canripper.html

It's worth noting aluminium is 2nd only to copper in heat dissipation.
However, it's a soft metal and because it will react with acid foods, it's
not an ideal choice for cookware. Though it can work, I wouldn't:

     o Stir my food with a titanium utensil so as to constantly scrape the
bottom
     o Cook any acidic foods (anything with citric acid or tomato sauce)

The cookset from Dancing Light Gear I am considering is an aluminium pot
that does not have a hard-anodized surface. However, my spoon is lexan and
my foods are not highly acidic.

Tangent