[pct-l] Stehekin-Area Flood Damage

The Stehekin area experienced record rainfall and water flow-rates in the local rivers as a result of the recent storm. There was so MUCH water the road between High Bridge and Bridge Creek is not passable on foot or on/in motorized vehicles. In many places ALL fill material has been washed away and only bed-rock remains. Pictures of road-beds that remain look like stream-bed channels.

The road between Stehekin Valley Ranch and High Bridge is mostly washed out and a survey (foot-travel) by the Stehekin-based NPS trail-crew up to Basin Creek revealed severe damage too. The following bridges appear to be intact:

 Harlequin, High Bridge, Tumwater, Bridge Creek and Park Creek

The Glory Mountain parking lot at what WAS the end of the Stehekin upper-valley road is now buried under about 25-feet of rocks, boulders and other debris. My guess is it will be years before the road is open and usable (and then only to 4-wheel- drive vehicles for a while.) The out-house at the parking-lot was untouched and is still open for business!

The Basin Creek campground and cable bridge cribbing on both sides of Basin Creek are all gone (buried or washed away). As far as I know, there is no information available on damage to trails in the region between Stehekin/High-Bridge and Glacier Peak. I imagine, though, it must be severe.

If you want additional information, contact the NPS in Sedro-Woolley, Marblemount or Stehekin...

Dick Bingham - w7wkr
Stehekin, WA