[pct-l] Cleveland NF Closed -- and More

	Forest closures: the Angeles and San Bernardina National
Forests are closed to all visitors -- no hiking or camping!  The
Angeles National Forest permits through traffic on state or local
highways not otherwise closed.  The San Bernardino NF is pretty much
exit-only, at this point.  An eastern section of Los Padres National
Forest is also closed to visitors, due to the Piru fire -- the PCT
doesn't go there, but a lot of hikers do, I though I'd throw it in.

	Cleveland National Forest is closed, too!  They apparently
just didn't tell anyone!  They closed on Sunday, but I haven't seen a
closure notice on their own Web site or on the San Diego Web sites
I've been monitoring.  I got word of the closure only when I called
their headquarters (+1-858-673-6180).

	My advice is: do not rely on the Angeles NF and Cleveland NF
Web sites.  They are often unmaintained, and contain dangerously
outdated information; at best, they point to a national clearinghouse,
which I have observed to be a day or two behind in posting major
fires.  Perhaps it isn;t updated on weekends?  Call the Forest Service
rangers for current conditions.

	The fire west of the Cajon pass has been split into two named
fires (the Padua Fire on the west, and the Grand Prix on the east).
It doesn't appear very active based on my perusal of satellite
imagery, the Mt. Wilson camera, and the IncidentControl reports.
Wrightwood is considered safe at present.  Mt. Baldy Village may still
be threatened.

	The Old Fire, west of the Cajon pass, is very active.  The
rest of the entire mountain, Big Bear through Yucaipa, is under
mandatory evacuation (per IncidentControl.com).  Although the lower
elevation part of the fire appears less active in satellite imagery at
present, the smoke column is visible from the Victor Valley (per my
father).  The fire may reach Silverwood Lake, or we might see an end
run around Crestline and into Deep Creek (per my speculation).

	In San Diego County, the winds have reversed and are blowing
the fires to the east.  Palomar is being evacuated (Paradise Fire).
Julian is being evacuated (Cedar fire).  The fire may or may not cross
the PCT in either area, it depends on the vagaries of wind and
humidity.  Further south, the Otay fire is well west of the southern
terminus of the PCT, but could conveivably reach there in only a day,
given the same conditions and speed that the Cedar fire initially had.

	At least three of these fires (Grand Prix, Old Waterman, and
one of the Ventura County fires) are believed to be the work of
arsonists.  The Cedar fire was started by a lost hunter, who lit a
signal fire (or flare, depending on the story).  A smaller fire in
Riverside County is also believed to have been arson.  Moral: not only
could an idiot start a wildfire anywhere, but one or more people are
actually doing so at present.

	It my opinion that is unsafe to hike in much of Southern
California at the moment.  Even if you aren't near trees, grass, or
chaparral, the air is really, really unhealthy in many areas.  We may
see more arson-started fires, too.  In my opinion, all PCT hikers
south of the Tehachapis should get off the trail.  Certainly, they
shouldn't hike in the closed areas, nor hike anywhere near smoke.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers