[pct-l] Mt. Laguna

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Judson Brown wrote:
>
> > I don't remember where I read it, but I saw it mentioned that the Mt.
Laguna
> > PO is no longer in business, and that packages should be sent in care of
the
> > adjacent store. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

> I'm pretty sure it was open what I went through in May.
>
> Chris
>
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Judson Brown wrote:
>
> > I don't remember where I read it, but I saw it mentioned that the Mt.
Laguna
> > PO is no longer in business, and that packages should be sent in care of
the
> > adjacent store. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

When I went through in early May it was open, and when I re-try the PCT, I
will most definitely be stopping there again. The woman running the post
office gave me a ride into town, and knew a lot about the trails nearby,
including the PCT.
The PO is in the same building as the Lodge Store, but with a seperate
entrance. The room rates at the lodge were reasonable (~35$/night), and had
both super-hot heaters and a wood-burning stove (which I didn't get to use).

The woman who ran the store next door was my first trail angel. I'd been
hiking all day through progressively worsening weather, and had mentioned to
some other hikers who passed me a couple miles out from Mt Laguna that I
planned on getting a room there, and waiting to pick up my mail drop. These
hikers mentioned this to the lady running the store, and she hopped in her
very nice SUV and came looking for me, saving me a wet, cold walk. Once back
at the store, when I found that the store doesnt have an ATM, she got me in
a room, and let me get some food (and a pack of smokes, it had been a really
shitty day), saying "We'll worry about it tomorrow". Looking back on it, I
realized I had mild hypothermia, and had been slurring my words and
stumbling a bit. I really can't say enough positive things about the people
at the Mount Laguana Lodge.

Gray