[pct-l] re: Bounce boxes

Something to consider for those of you planning to use
bounce boxes on a long hike:  Don't use a box, use a
bucket.  Head over to a hardware store and buy yourself
a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid.  It will cost
you about $4.  Much more durable than a box, you can sit on it
outside the PO, you don't have to worry about your stuff getting
crunched by the PS, you can put a lot of stuff in it, it
has a handle to help you carry it, you don't have to duct tape
it shut all the time, etc.

Put some of the stuff that Mags had in his, but also included
stuff like ibuprofen, vitamins, tobacco, rolling papers,
occasionally some clothes, extra ziplocks, some food, etc.
I sent my bucket to:  Warner Springs, Big Bear, Mojave,
Tuolumne, Sierra City, Dunsmuir, Ashland, Cascade Locks,
and Skykomish.  I always sent it parcel post and it usually
cost around $4-7 to send.

Chris
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Paul Magnanti wrote:

> For what is worth, I found a boune box very valuable
> on my trip. Other than mailing an ice axe, had no
> packages from home mailed to me.
>
> What I had in my bounce box were:
>
> 1) Guide book, cut up into sections. Took out as
> appropriate
>
> 2) Slide film
>
> 3) Pre-paid mailers for development
>
> 4) Camera batteries
>
> I will use a bounce box on the CDT next year as well
> with similar contents. (except I will be going
> digitial and will probably have a charger and media
> card in there instead).
>
> Mags
>

> =====

Christopher Willett