[pct-l] Women hitch-hiking alone

I hiked the AT in '02 by myself (except for the last
350 miles - which I did with my husband).

I'm not young or blonde... but I didn't have any
troubles.  The only times that I got worried was
around the weekends when the good old boys were
hanging around the backroads where the trails came out
of the woods.  Then, if there was another thru hiker
hiking near me on the trail - they would wait until I
had crossed the road.  Its amazing how caring and kind
most people are! The men all ended up to be fine - my
friends would generally have just finished a beer or
two while waiting for me.

I got rides pretty quickly.  The men that stopped
quickly seemed very concerned about my safety - and
wanted to make sure that I got a safe ride.

I got a lot of women picking me up also. I'd generally
hear that their husbands forebade them to pick up
hitchhikers!

My neighbors at home kept telling me that I needed to
carry a gun!

So, be careful, pay attention and have a great trip.

Karin  AKA "GreasePot"
AT '02
PCT '04 (god willing)