[pct-l] Resupply

I bought as I went, with the following exceptions: Warner Springs
(maildrop from home, postage=$22), Kennedy Meadows (maildrop from
Agua Dulce, posage=$7), VVR (maildrop from Agua Dulce, postage=$7),
and Burney Falls State Park (maildrop from Sierra City, unknown
postage).

This isn't listed geographically, but rather by size. These are
just the places I visited.  I was behind the main pack up to
around Walker Pass/Kennedy Meadows and in front after
South Lake Tahoe.  So, I had first pickings of the food in the
stores.  Later hikers might have had more difficulty than I did.

In some towns, you have big, regular grocery stores.  The places I
stopped that fell under this category were: Idyllwild, Big Bear,
Agua Dulce (not the town itself, but one close by), Mojave,
South Lake Tahoe, Chester (although I didn't shop there),
Ashland, Sisters, and Cascade Locks.

Places that had medium sized grocery stores included
Sierra City and Dunsmuir.

Places that had a well equipped campstore (i.e, like a medium
grocery store, only in a camp) included Tuolumne Meadows, VVR, and
Mazama Campground.

Places with a smaller, but still well stocked store included
Kennedy Meadows, Old Station, Burney Falls State Park,
Seiad Valley, and Snoqualmie.

Cajon pass is a gas station, but it is big.  You have a lot of choices
for standard hiking food. If you are looking for, say, Lemongrass
and Ginger Thai Noodles, then you'll be disappointed. But, if you
want ramen, Mac and Cheese, Liptons, etc, you'll be fine.
Mt. Laguna, Belden, and Skykomish were all the same.  I'm
told White Pass is an easy resupply, but I got there
after the store closed.  Some section hikers and tourists
took up a food drive for me.

The only tough resupply points are Warner Springs and Stehekin.  I could
have resupplied
out of the gas station in Warner Springs(as Glory Cummings did), but it
would have meant
taking some microwave burritos for lunches.  I came into Stehekin with
some leftover food from Skykomish and stopped in the PO before going to
the store. So, I picked up a bunch of food out of the hiker box there and
ended up only buying a few things at the store. Not much there, but you're
only 3 days from Canada, so who cares.  I got the last box of poptarts,
stealing it from under Birdie's nose.  But, she bought pastries from
the bakery for breakfast instead.  Guess which one of us was happier
during those last few mornings before Canada?

Chris

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Steve Setzer wrote:

> Reading through the last thread on resupply, it sounds like a lot of
> through hikers didn't mail themselves food from home.  Did you just shop
> along the way?  How can you resupply at a gas station.  Most gas stations
> I've been too only have junk food that wouldn't eat for a snack, let alone
> for a week on the trail.  I always figured I didn't have much of a choice
> except to plan all my food drops ahead of time.  Is there a better way?
>
> Steve

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University