[pct-l] ultralight solar cells

In a message dated 10/17/03 12:45:17 AM, ilja@cs.caltech.edu writes:

<< I remember it also described a russian pacemaker
battery using plutonium. If it is good enough to be implanted permanently,
a thruhiker could easily carry it.

My dad worked with plutonium. It is nasty, insidious stuff. It puts out Alpha
particles that cannot even penetrate a sheet of paper. So when you ingest it,
your skin blocks the Alpha particles, making it very difficult to prove you
have ingested it, but you will certainly die from radiation induced cancer if
you do.
  So what happens if these batteries get lost or are thrown away? They
eventually deteriorate and enter the food chain: into grass via osmosis, deer eat
the grass, bears/eagles, etc., eat the deer carcass. Imagine the general public
with such batteries. It will never happen
  OOPs wrong mailing list. Thought this was the Plutonium Challenges for
Tomorrow chat list