[pct-l] ultralight solar cells

Hi Gray,

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Gray wrote:

> > I've read the Soviets had tiny nuclear
> > batteries. Not sure if you can get them in the US...
>
> Um, I'd be really interested in hearing where you heard about these, simply
> because the amount of fissionable materiel needed is way more than anyone
> that thruhikes would be willing to carry.

I've read a little book describing alternative energy technologies from
the 60's and 70's. I remember it also described a russian pacemaker
battery using plutonium. If it is good enough to be implanted permanently,
a thruhiker could easily carry it.

I searched for a reference and found:
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/9603/msg00117.html
Apparently such pacemaker batteries where used in the USA too. Not on the
market anymore though.

Ilja.