[pct-l] re: Did you enjoy it?

>>Mexico to Canada, the first question was
>>generally:  "Why would you do  such a thing?'"

To quote a journal entry I made last year:

“The most asked question about my hike is a simple
“WHY GO?”  I have several
reasons, but I think the best answer is for the
journey itself – all the pains
and joys, all the experiences that comes with a 2650
mile walk in the woods”.

Long distance hiking can truly be compared to
pilgrimage for some. The journey itself is the most
important aspect. Manning and Campo were merely
bookends for the journey. What was between those two
points were imporant. I was excited when I saw the
border monument at Mexico, and was joyous when I saw
its counterpart at the Canadian line, but it is those
moments in between I really think about.

SEeing a herd of elk in Oregon. Crossing the High
Sierras passes with D-Low and Restless Winds. Desert
sunsets. The "thru-hiker" sleepover in Stehekin where
nine of us were crammed into one hotel room and
laughed a long time over the phrase "Skyqualamie
Meadows" (long story...)

So, yes, I guess I did enjoy the four mos or so I had
onthe PCT. Hope I answered why I would do such a
thing. And why I am doing such a thing next year.
(This time in my 'backyard' of the Rockies)

Mags

=====
--Thoreau