[pct-l] the one month mark.

At 12:35 PM 10/15/2003 -0700, Michael Helmut Arnold wrote:
>Is the one month mark magical?
>I would be very interested in hearing of thru-hikers experiences/thoughts
>regarding
>turning points in there hiking experience at the one month-mark, and/or at
>other
>times along there hike.

Around mile 350, before Wrightwood, the relief of no longer needing pain
relievers felt magical. Coincidentally around this time I began to feel "in
place" on my through hike. My 1-month-mark may have come a bit early.

Ironically, after leaving Wrightwood, I ran into the worst weather on my
entire through hike on Mount Baden-Powell (snow, ice, rain). Checking the
local weather before leaving town is a good idea. Had I waited a day, I
would have had a stunning view, or so I was told. This turned about to be a
turning point, because I felt if I could get through that, I could deal
with anything.

Perhaps I was right. I suffered a terrible case of what I now belive was
plantar fasciitis before Agua Dulce and did not think of orthoses until
Ashland. After that, everything was a walk in the park. :)

Tangent