[pct-l] the one month mark.

I didn't feel much different at the one month mark.  I rolled into Kennedy
Meadows at exactly the one month mark, but I felt I was still
transitioning into the thruhiker stage.  From the border to Big Bear I
felt like a weekender.  From Big Bear to Agua Dulce, I just felt like a
tough weekender.  The transition really came between AD and Yosemite. When
I reached Tuolumne Meadows (54 days), I felt like a long distance hiker. I
still couldn't bring myself to tell non-thru hikers that I was planning to
go to Canada.  I just didn't think I could do it.  But, it was making
Tuolumne that was really the breaking point. I think I had set Tuolumne up
as a very important psychological point before I left.

By the time I reached Sisters, I knew I could make Canada.  Strangely
enough, I still couldn't tell non-thru hikers what I was doing.  I just
didn't want to get into a long conversation with them and have to
answer the same questions over and over again.

Chris

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Michael Helmut Arnold wrote:

> --- CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:
> > Ever hear the phrase "Freedom of the Hills? I enjoyed the total freedom most
> > of all. One can't get that feeling on a two week trip. One gets it only after
> > a feeling of permanence is felt after about a month with five to go. As far as
>
> Thru-hikers I met a couple of years ago at Stehekin also described the "one month"
> the "real world" fades into the distance.
>
> I"ve been curious about the "magic" of the one month mark ever since.  This has recently
> become more than idle curiosity, as I am considering section hiking the PCT in approximately
> one month chunks - unfortunate timing if the one month mark is so pivotal.
>
> Is the one month mark magical?
> I would be very interested in hearing of thru-hikers experiences/thoughts regarding
> turning points in there hiking experience at the one month-mark, and/or at other
> times along there hike.
>
> Michael Arnold (no trail name yet!)

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics