[pct-l] Re: Snow Predictitions (was good starting date?)

Greg,

First and foremost, I have NO method for predicting 2 or 3 months in advance what the
snowpack conditions in the Sierras will be and neither do you. That's the WHOLE POINT.

Reading the journals is to expose potential hikers to the snow conditions in the Sierra that
others have experienced, NOT for prediction purposes. If I'm arguing against the possibility
of accurate predictions, why would I suggest reading a journal to that end?

"If you start from Kennedy Meadows on June 15th, you'll probably encounter little snow."
Plus or minus 2 weeks error, what do think my chances of being wrong are? Extremely, slim.

If you guess the 2nd week in June and Reynolds guesses the 3rd week in June, there's
a REAL good chance that one of you is gonna be right. This is just so glaringly obvious.

There's no genius on your part and no benefit to anyone listening to state on March 1st,
"According to my calculations, start from KM between June 1 and June 6."

Can you predict consistently and accurately what the weather will be 2-3 months out?
No, you can't and neither can meteorologists. Hydrology is dependent on the weather, no?

The best that anyone could achieve is a probability via statiscal methods based on very limited
historical (50 years at best for accurate data) data. ie, "80% chance of 6" snowpack at Upper
Tyndall on June 1st." And this says nothing of the accuracy of the method, it only reflects the
results based on the data.

C'mon Greg, you have a science background. Why can't earthquakes be predicted? The answer
is simple, too many ughknown variables. The same applies here.

Scott Parks