[pct-l] plant guides

Hi, Dave!

I have a couple of suggestions for you that might be satisfactory,
especially for the Sierras -

Norman Weeden's Sierra Nevada Flora has a decent key & b&w illustrations,
and isn't too bulky.
The (now older but still decent) paperback id guides by Munz (California
Desert Wildflowers, California Spring Wildflowers, California Mountain
Wildflowers) are good useful guides, "keyed" by color but identify plants by
family, genus & species.  If you're thruhiking you won't have much time to
botanize anyway....sniff....

You also might check out http://www.calflora.org/ for great photos & info.

If I look like I have a California bias - I do ;-), having received my
botany degree in Santa Barbara....and the California section is the most
diverse, anyhow.  But the forest & understory in Oregon & Washington deserve
mention, and a decent mushroom guide.

Email me off-list for further suggestions & info - last year I gave a talk
at the ADZ on what hikers would typically see in their first months on the
trail, and may do so again this April, better organized this time.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can.  Boldness has a genius,
magic and power to it."
                                      Goethe