[pct-l] Burning Calories

Your calorie numbers are pretty accurate from what I based my hike on. I
carried 2 - 2.5 pounds of food a day, and packed in the calories while in
town.

You basically need to become an eating machine.

I'm willing to bet that 'not enough calories' is one of the leading (yet
invisible) reasons people don't (or can't) finish the trail.  When I didn't
feel like eating, I'd just say to myself, "The success of your hike depends
on eating. Eat!"

Also, most thru-hikers are on the move a lot more than 8 hours a day.

I think that the draw of calories is one reason that towns become such a big
focus for some hikers.  Your mind associates unlimited calories with town,
then tells your body to get there as fast as possible (or vice versa).

IMHO
John B., the hiker formerly known as Cupcake

---
>Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:33:00 -0400
>From: "Rob Rathmann" <rrathmann@groupconvergence.com>
<snip>
>Hiking, cross country for 8 hours: 4572.21 Calories
>Walking, upstairs for 8 hours: 6081.04 Calories
>THAT IS BURNING BETWEEN 4572.21-6081.04 Calories DURING AN 8 HOUR HIKE!!!
<snip>