[pct-l] Brian's record attempt on the JMT

Brian writes...
Peter Bakwin still holds the JMT speed record at 94:04. My time of 103:02 was not quite good enough. Like a troll who won't let an adventurer pass without paying a toll, the last 25 miles of the JMT struck again. During Peter Bakwin's and Buzz Burrell's first record attempt, torrential hail chased them off the trail on their 4th night. Sophia Lewis and I left Tuolumne Meadows over 3 1/2 hours ahead of Peter's record pace. I was feeling great and believed the record was mine. Just a few miles past Sunrise High Sierra Camp at about mile 208, we lost the trail in the darkness.  We searched unsuccessfully for over 4 hours despite the fact that I'd recently run this section in training. Cold, tired and beleaguered, we backtracked to Sunrise High Sierra Camp and slept for six hours. By morning's light we found the rest of the trail and sauntered the last 12 miles.

You can read his full account at

http://stevenscreekstriders.org/events/brian_r/jmt_challenge.html