[pct-l] OT: Winter Tent

Yeah, go with a Bibler if REI will spring for it.  If for some reason they
lose their price sheet, ask for a Fitzroy.  I've used Biblers in various
locales and can recommend them highly. The Fitzroy is great, but
you have to buy the pole supported vestibule separately.
You can sleep 3 in it in a pinch.  I've
used a more technical version of the Tempest and like it also.  The
vestibule is built in, but not pole supported.  It can sleep two,
but not three (unless you hike with slender women).

The Eldorado/I-tent are supposed to be great, but I have no experience
with them.

One feature of the Biblers is that they set up inside out.  That is,
you crawl into the tent to put it up.  If you have to set up the
tent in a rain storm and are careful, you can get set up without getting
the interior wet.  This is tough with a double wall tent.

Chris

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Jim Keener wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> REI lost a Moss Stardome tent I had given them for repair. So I get a new
> tent. What should I get?
>
> You might ask, "How will you use the tent?" Good question. I won't hike far
> with it, so it can be big and heavy. I will use it in snow parks and for
> camping at cross country ski areas. What I want is a bomb proof, snow
> shrugging tent. Since MSR bought Moss, I'm unsure of the quality of their
> tents. It  looks like MSR has re-named the Stardome to "Fury."
>
> What about Bibler tents? Anyone have experience with them?
>
> Peace,
> Jim

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics