[pct-l] Ryback campsite on pct

> > Many of the old timers from the '70s got their pct dream inspirations
from reading
>> Eric Ryback's 1970 book The High Adventure
>
> I think it was a little later than 1970.   Anyway my first inspiration was
> from Colin Fletcher's first book, The Thousand Mile Summer, which had

Ryback's hike was in 1970; the book was published in 1971. (I just checked
my copy.) I received a copy as a high school graduation gift in 1973 and it
most definitely inspired me to take longer hikes. That summer, we hiked the
John Muir Trail. The next summer, Tahoe-Yosemite Trail. And in 1977, the
PCT. Of course, once on the PCT we had lots of laughs about Ryback's book. A
paperback copy was circulating among that year's hikers and it provided
plenty of inspiration in a new way.

Carl
1977 Kelty Kid