[pct-l] (Guest Post) Re: Affording a thru hike

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Platypus <PlatyHiker@yahoo.com>.
* Please use <mailto:PlatyHiker@yahoo.com> to reply to the sender.

Rather than factoring in lost wages, you may want to factor in lost
savings.  If your salary is high, but your non-hiking living expenses
are also high, you may not be giving up a lot to go on a thru hike,
provided you minimize your fixed costs.  But, if you've been saving
aggressively for some other goal, say retirement or a house, going on
a thru-hike does halt those saves for the duration of the hike.