[pct-l] Re: OK to redefine goals - pct 2003

When I started the PCT in Campo on April 25 I had every intention to be a thru hiker. That wasn't meant to be. Three of us, Able, Witt and myself, were to leave Kennedy Meadows on June 22. I got about 2 miles out and could barely walk. After much thought and discussion, (Sweep, a doctor I met on the trail, said I might have a stress fracture), I knew I needed to turn around. What a bummer, after  finally getting through the desert, having to get off the trail. Monday, I hitch hiked into Lone Pine, which is approximately 65 road miles from Kennedy Meadows. This was also a first for me, hitch hiking by myself (I wasn't really alone, Perfect Pete my stuffed platypus, was with me from the very beginning). I met two nice couples willing to give me a ride. One couple was from Death Valley who gave me a lift into Ridge Crest; and, the other couple, with two boys on vacation, gave me a ride into Lone Pine. I discovered throughout my PCT experience people were always there whenever I needed them.

In Lone Pine, I ran into Witt who got off the trail for a couple of days because of blisters. Blisters are real killers if you don't let them heal. I also went to the hospital for x-rays. Dr. Starr sent me to a Podiatrist in Ridge Crest for verification. They both confirmed I had a stress fracture on my right foot. Generally healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Since I am a fast healer, I felt 4 weeks would be plenty of time. I now realized my goals needed to be redefined. I rejoined Able in Independence and we made our way to Tuolumne Meadows. I hung out there for a week. My sister-in-law met me July 5 and we decided to drive across CA and up  the Pacific Coast for the next 16 days. We did some light hiking along the lost coast. Beautiful country. We were also able to camp along the Pacific Coast. We went to sleep many nights to the sound of the ocean. We drove up to Ashland, OR where I got back on the trail. If it hadn't been for my sister-in-law, I wouldn't have been able to stay off my foot that long.

I had a great experience hiking Oregon alone. I got to meet the "fast" hikers who really are amazing. I still cannot imagine hiking 30 to 40 miles a day. All throughout OR I was still having feet problems.  By the time I got to Cascade Locks I knew it was time to get off the trail. It was a hard decision to make, but, I knew if I didn't I may cause permanent damage to my feet. There is always another time. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to go back out and finish. I met a lot of nice people along the way and had experiences I will always remember. I believe it isn't the hike that makes the PCT special, but the people you meet and the experiences you have along the way.

While in Washington I took a Greyhound bus to Sedro Wooley and spent several days with my girlfriend whom I went to grade and high school with.

I have had a very interesting spring and summer. A time I will always cherish. Backpacking southern CA with a great, small group including my husband for 3 weeks: Go Go Joe, Elk Man, Able, Little Strider, Chaos Twins, Be Here Now; having two special trail angels, Rev & Donna, among many others along the way; hitch hiking; driving up the Pacific Coast with Jane, my sister-in-law; camping on the beach; Backpacking Oregon by myself; chilling out at my friend's house in WA before returning home. Even though my original goal was to hike the PCT in one season, I am glad I got to experience over 1,000 miles of the trail and all the other things along the way.  I may never pass this way again.

Since I have been home, I have learned that I not only had one stress fracture, but two. I would like to hear from others how they are doing after getting off the trail. Even though I only did part of the trail and returned 8/27, I am having trouble getting back to real life.

Petals, KY
Peggy M.

P.S. This was my first backpacking experience.