[pct-l] History

You might take a look at Irving Stone's, "Men to Match my Mountains".
This is more of a general history of exploration, but includes information
on John C. Fremont's various expeditions, which include a trip along a
route which is generically similar to the PCT through northern CA and into
Oregon.  Bernard DeVoto's, "1846: Year of Decision" is has similar
information on it.  Both of these are very well written western americana
histories, but perhaps more broad than you want.

Chris

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 Bighummel@aol.com wrote:

> Joseph Hazard's book, "Pacific Crest Trails" published in 1946 and available
> rarely used in Amazon and other used book sources gives numerous historical
> information on the trail in Oregon, the PNW, etc.  His writing is excellent,
> inspirational and clear.  He was a guide on Mt. Rainier back in the 1920's.
>
> Greg Hummel
> aka "Strider"

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics