[pct-l] poor old Ray

I agree, I like this thread too.

As far as feet go, I think it all depends on each person's feet.  As
I mentioned to John Vonhof (author of Fixing Your Feet) in a similar
post last year, some people are litterally "tenderfeet" and other
people seem to have feet of steel.

For example, I never get blisters.  I can sit idle for months, then
spontaneously get up and go trail run 15-20 miles up and down steep
hills.  This results in no blisters, no pain, no discomfort at all in
my feet.

On the other end of the spectrum, my hiking/trail running buddy will
train for months, running 40-70 miles per week, and usually running
one 20+ miler on the weekends.  When we go on a 20+ mile trail run,
he ALWAYS ends up getting blisters.  He uses Body Glide on the "hot-
spots", and has tried all sorts of different socks and other aids to
try and prevent blisters.  Nothing has worked.  He ALWAYS gets
blisters.

In addition to blister prevention, one has to condition the joints,
bones, connective tissue, etc of their feet for the sheer pounding of
step after step on rugged trails with rocks, roots, etc.  I never get
blisters, but I do have to condition my feet for this sort of
pounding to prevent fatigue, stone bruises, and general foot pain.  I
have found that just like Ray states in his book, if you just endure
the pain and tenderness for 1-2 days, your feet will eventually
strengthen all of that tissue and you will be able to walk on the
roughest sufaces with no concern.  My friend who always gets blisters
has the same experience regarding this sort of pain: work through it
and it eventually goes away.

BTW, I don't waht people to get the idea that I am a mileage-nazi
from my suggestions on my last post.  I don't do all those things all
the time, especially not "don't talk to people".   But sometimes, if
I want/need to make big miles, I will employ some or all of those
suggestions.  I have found that time is just like weight: if you
don't watch it carefully, then its easy to let things get out of
hand.  For example, sompare the following iteneraries:

~16 hrs of daylight in the summer.

Task         Option 1     Option 2
breakfast     30min        1 hr
am break      10 min       30 min
get water     2 min        15 min
lunch         30 min       1 hr
pm break      10 min       30 min
Dinner        30 min       1 hr
extra break   0            15 min
extra break   0            15 min
extra break   0            15 min
extra break   0            15 min
talk on trail 5 min        15 min
talk on trail 5 min        15 min
talk on trail 5 min        15 min
Stream X-ing  5 min        20 min
Stream X-ing  5 min        20 min
Stream X-ing  5 min        20 min
get up early  -30 min      0
hike late     -30 min      0
--------------------------------------
total         1 hr 22 min   7 hrs

Option 2 only leaves 9 hrs for hiking if you do NOTHING else.  If you
are in the Sierras, then 2 mph is not realistic unless you are a
total stud.  2 mph is "normal walking on flat ground with a light
load".  Add elevation gains, and that will easily drop down to 1.5
mph (less if its steep).  Add heavy loads, and its even less.  Add
difficult terrain and its even less.  Add route finding/getting lost
and that's even less.  Its very easy to drop down to 1 mph in
difficult terrain, like snow or mud.  There is a HUGE difference
betwen covering big miles in the Sierras vs big miles in the Cascades
of No. Cal or Oregon.  I dare say almost no one covers 2 mph going up
Forrester Pass.

There is a REAL difference between the above options.  One hour vs.
7!!  At a  1.5 mph, thats an extra 9 miles!!  So if you are currently
doing 12 miles, there is your extra 9 miles to get in a total of
20+.  Look at the estimates that I put for Option 2, they are not
unreasonable or unrealistically long.  Its just like weight: it all
adds up.  You have to consider real time it takes to do things.  Take
getting water, for example: its not just filtering or treating; its
also locating a good rest spot, removing your pack (longer times for
heavier packs), finding & taking out your water container, finding
and taking out your treatment mechanism, assembling your filter set-
up (if you use a filter), treating/filtering the water, drying off
your container, putting the container back in your pack, putting your
treatment mechanism back in your pack, adjusting the items in your
pack, invariably resting a little, put your pack back on, adjust the
load, adjust the straps, get back on the trail.  Everything is like
that, its just super-easy to take lots of time to do things. Its also
easy to cut down the time it takes to do things :-)

In closing, I guess my montra is "it all adds up".

HYOH & peace!
dude