[pct-l] New CA guidebooks vs old?

>> So is that yes or no? <<

Yes, buy the guidebook. In this hiker's opinion, they're needed. This is
especially true in areas where the trail intersects with civilization. In
general staying on the PCT is fairly easy. When it approaches roads, signage
leaves much to be desired. So it's quite useful.

Some people depend heavily on the text; personally I thought it was way too
verbose and the new versions are even worse. For the most part I stuck with
the maps and supplemented them with the data book. Trying to follow the
trail in the text proved to be a real pain.

-- Fallingwater