[pct-l] Sleeping Pads and Tent poles

   While we all look for a magic bullet to pack to sleep on, don't sell your
self short on something that isn't warm enough or comfortable . I like the
winter weight full length Ridgerest which is purple and green. In the long run ,
you will sleep warmer and better with a full length and the winter weight is
thicker for more comfort. ( Great for just throwing out on a large rock !) Thin
pads are fun to pack ,but nothing to write home about in use!!. Early
snowstorms in the Cascades  on thru-hikers who don't have much " Insultion" left in
their body's are no fun. I can walk around in a T-shirt in 55 degree weather
while my thru-hiker friends are digging out shirts and vest.
   I would even promote the heaver Themarest pads, BUT I HAVE NEVER FOUND ONE
I TRUST. ( Ever hike with someone and their Theramest as they look for 5
minutes to find a place to lay out their pad in the desert on a lunch break?) They
have an uncanly habit of going flat a the wrong time and are not bombproof .
Never trust your Thermarest. ( Many ultra-lights will scoff at someone using
a full length pad , but there are two sides to a coin and pro's and con's .
Ultra-thin 3/4 pads are not a WIN WIN situation)
      Tent Poles??? You can go to a Bow Shop to buy replacement poles in the
form of Arrow Shafts. You can buy either Easton Alum. shafts in a large
variety of diameters as well as Carbon Fiber shafts. Cabelas is a good on-line
source.