[pct-l] Palisade Glacier Expedition After Action Report

Well, overall a typical trip.  Some successes and some failures just like
every trip.

I got up to 11,000 feet below the glacier before old age and altitude turned
me around.  Palisade Glacier is 9.0 miles from parking and 12,400 feet.  I
camped two nights before the assault to the glacier.

The First Lake is a must see for any of you that have not done this trail out
of Big Pine, CA. It is a bright turquoise color and 4.5 miles (9,900 feet)
from parking (7,750 feet).  One of the neatest sight I have seen outdoors.  Stop
at the walk-in picnic area about one mile from parking for acclimation
camping.

Second Lake and Third Lake are also turquoise, but not quite as brilliant.
The trail is definitely "strenuous".  I saw and heard folks 30 years my junior
complaining coming up as I was going down.  Stop at silent film actor Lon
Chenny's cabin (now a Forest Service cabin) for a break on the way up and down to
First Lake.

I will head to 14,500 foot Mt. Whitney next month.  That should be easier.
Ha, ha.  I will be lucky to make it to 12,000 foot Trail Camp, but who cares.

Hey, do not forget August 27 and Mars being the closet to earth in 5,000
years.  Or just catch it next time.

Cheers, Switchback