[pct-l] Re: Esbit verses Alcohol

On the less-scientific side of the debate, I found
benefits to both esbit and alcohol.

Esbit:  You can extinguish it, carry it on a plane (I
think they're cracking down on that now, though), mail
it, etc.

On the other hand, ever try lighting one of these in
high wind?  Good luck.  They say esbits are good for
starting campfires.  That's debatable, but there are
better things available for that (see below).  And of
course, you won't be finding esbit tabs in some of the
more remote pct stops.

Alcohol:  If your stove rocks, it's great.  If your
stove sucks, well, it's not so great.  Every try using
alcohol to start a campfire?  About a teaspoon is
sufficient!

I used esbit to cook, and carried about 1/4 cup
alcohol for starting campfires or for lighting
uncooperative esbit tablets.  That decision was mainly
based on the fact that I didn't have time to get a
good working pop-can stove built before I left, and
decided on esbit (which seemed to work for me, so why
change).  On a future hike, I'd probably go with
alcohol, just for a change of pace.

Iron Chef