From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
Montedodge@aol.com
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 9:54 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Iditarod Racers use Alcohol Stoves

 When Jeff King won the Quest Dog Race in 1989 , he used a 2 burner
Coleman
stove which he would " Dose"  with white gas to preheat , wiat for
inferno to
die down, the turn on burners to light and melt water for dogs and
himself.
   In early 90's , dog mushers began using large alcohol cookers which
were
much more simple to use, lighter and never fail to heat up to 4 gallons
of
water for their dogs.
   Nowdays , all Iditarod  and Yukon Quest racers use alcohol stoves. If

they work flawlessly for them and hundreds of thru-hikers , any hikers
using
something else are using a second rate stove. Go to your google search
and look
into Iditarod race gear. Muchers don't use esbit tabs or whisperlighter
or
coleman stoves. Alcohol is King of the mushers!!!   P.S. I have a whole
wall full
of second rate stoves which I love very much , but would never consider
on a
thru-hike.