[pct-l] Compressing/Stuffing sleeping bags

I have never thru-hiked, but I have used a compression sack alot.
The longest hike I have hiked with one is 408 miles in 24 days.  I
have done countless other 7-10 day hikes using compression sacks.

In my experience, compression sacks definitely reduce the loft of
down bags.  Compression sacks will reuce the loft even if used only
once.  Granted, the loss of loft may be imperceptible after one use
of a compression sack, but there will be some.  I used a compression
sack on my 24 day hike, and I can DEFINITELY tell that my North Face
Blue Kazoo down bag lost loft.  It is way more clumpy and just doesnt
fluff up as much as it used to.  However, even in light of the loss
of loft, the bag still keeps me warm (although I have never used it
in any temps less than about 15 or however cold is was at night on
the summit of whitney)

I also have a down sleeping blanket from Nunatak and I asked them to
make an extra small compression sack for it, which they did.  I can
tell you that after using the sompression sack ONE TIME there was
NOTICEABLE loft lost.  I used this blanket and compression sack on
the JMT last year and was not cold at night (highest elevation I
slept at was about 9200').  I also slept in a fleece jacket.

Even though the compression sacks do cause the down to lose some of
its loft, I find that it is worth it to me because it allows me to
carry a smaller pack (last year on the JMT, I used a 1000 c.i. Marmot
Lumbar pack).  I find that the smaller pack forces me to carry less
stuff and be more creative with finding multiple uses for the things
that I do bring.  All of this results in a lighter pack and the
ability to hike longer distances.

peace,
dude