[pct-l] RE: Bear Cans

Just returned last weeks from hiking Walker Pass to Echo Lake.  I bought a Garcia, stuffed 8 days food in it, and mailed it to Kennedy Meadows.  Used Backpacker Pantry's cheaper line:  Camp Food or something like that.  The freeze-dry food has to come in skinny packets, ruling out Mountain House.  Also took 4 assorted energy bars per day, 10-grain cereal, gorp, powdered milk, instant coffee.  It weighed 15.4 lbs to ship, so minus 3+ pounds for the Garcia and it's mailing box, I had 12 pounds = 1.5 per day of food.  Actually got 10 days out of it.  At Toulomne Meadows I mailed the can home and switched to a basic 5 oz. Ursack sent with my 6 day resupply.  I was actually able to cram the Garcia in the bottom of a GVP G5 - a 15 pound "beer keg" in a 7oz pack!

Neither bear nor ranger checked my can.  But I heard a bear raid in a nearby camp, and had another PCT section-hiker tell of having his food bag snatched from under his head near Donahue.

If I were doing it again, I'd hitch into Lone Pine where I think you can rent a Park canister.  Hikers tell me you make a $75 deposit and can mail them back if it is not convenient to drop it off at a ranger station on the way out.  So cost is not an issue.

I normally use my Ursack on the theory that I'll chase the bear off, but they tell me Yosemite bears are smarter and more determined.  You could probably get away without a can if you stealth camp and don't cook in camp (unless you're at a bear box) - and are willing to lose your food.  But I would probably use a canister again in the High Sierras for the peace of mind - and my Garcia increased my base weight by 50% (from 6 to 9 pounds).