[pct-l] Bear Canisters

#1 I really do not know.  I have heard everything from "they can't
really do anything unless a bear gets your food" to "its an automatic
$1000 fine".  People have posted excerpts and links to regulations on
this subject and I still haven't seen anything that really blatantly
and clearly says "bear cannisters are required and you will be fined
without using them in _____ area".  Most of the regulations I have
seen usually make exceptions are are not clearly worded (probably not
written by subject matter experts in hiking/camping).

#2  Its hard to say how likely the regulations will be enforced.  I
did the JMT last year and saw two rangers (one between Yosemite
Valley and Tuolumne and the other near Bishop Pass).  We stopped and
talked to both rangers for a while and neither one asked about
cannisters.  We were going ultra-light (pack weight around 10lbs) and
when asked about destinations, we just referred to where we were
headed for the day, so perhaps they thought we were day hiking.

good luck on your hike.

peace,
dude
eugene, or