[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Jesse
I can't stand the damn thing but I gritted my teeth and bought the
Weekender.  A few reasons why: 1) as simple as it sounds, I believe the
statement "A fed bear is a dead bear"; 2) a bear last month on the JMT tried
to get into the tent in which my son and I were sleeping (we had a canister
30' away but I'll still go with the odds); and 3) having the bloody thing
doesn't restrict where you're going to crash for the night.

So today, by cutting out the unnecessary pouches etc. (Enertia foods weigh
less than MSR, guess why?), I was able to get 9 days of food, tea, vitamins
and scented toiletries into the bugger.  I don't figure that I'll need more
than 9 days worth between resupply locations (Lone Pine or wherever to VVR)
and then will look to get rid of it as soon as I'm out of the teddy-bear
picnic grounds.  Wild-Things or whoever they are claims it weighs 31 oz. but
mine came in at 33.1 oz.

JD
PCT '04 Gonnabe

PS On eBay if you have an account and go into Preferences, you can ask that
they send you an email when a Garcia or Bearikade can is available for
bidding.  Here in Northern California, Any Mountain, Inc. is having a
storewide sale at all branches of 20% which is about as good as you can
expect to get for a Garcia (even used, i.e. high resale value).  You might
get lucky on eBay but I wouldn't count on it.