[pct-l] re: Laundry on a thru-hike?

Brian:

Thru-hikers, like college students, learn that quarters are worth their weight in gold. I always have ten with me. WHY? Because the showers and laundry facilities along the trail usually run on them, especially at state and county parks. A VISA card or $500 in travelers' checks are useless at those times.

I wear long pants and shirt to hike in, but always carry a pair of silk running shorts and a set of silk-weight long underwear to wear to bed (keeps dirt and body oils off of my down sleeping bag, and serves as an extra layer just in case it gets cold). I wear the shorts and top when doing laundry in town. I could wear my 2 piece yellow rain gear too, but I get tired of the "banana man" look.

When all else fails, or if there is no laundry facility (like in Castle Crags State Park), I use the large handicapped shower stall, plug in extra quarters for ten minutes' of water, and do my laundry while I shower. It works! you can even just wring out your nylon shirt and pants, put them on damp, and air dry in the sun in ten minutes.

Money? Depends on whether or not you are re-supplying locally or via prepared supply boxes shipped to each location. Also depends on your desired standard of comfort on zero days. I carry the following on all my long treks (I use prepared supply boxes shipped from home):

     VISA card
     Phone card
     ATM card
     Driver's license
     Insurance card - just in case
     $200 cash (+ 10 quarters)
     $300 AMEX Traveler's checks

I make maximum use of the VISA, saving my cash for those places that don't like plastic. Because of the traffic in counterfeit traveler's checks, some places now refuse to accept them.

CAVEAT: NEVER carry all of the above in one place in your pack. Unexpected losses can be most embarrassing.

Wandering Bob