[pct-l] 2004 Thru Hike Notes

----- Original Message -----
From: <maurer@earthlink.net>
To: "Backpacker Light Pals" <BackpackingLight@yahoogroups.com>;
<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 5:19 PM
Subject: [pct-l] 2004 Thru Hike Notes

> Hi all,
>
> I have something that may be of interest to next year's thru hikers. For
> the past 9 months I have been keeping notes for my own upcoming Thru
> hike and have cut and pasted many suggestions from these newsgroups,
> various web pages and other emails I have received. I now have a word
> document that is 65 pages long! I'd be happy to share it with others,
> with the following caveat: Many of the notes are from you kind folks on
> the lists. It's never been my intention to publish any of this stuff for
> profit, and would hope that if I start to share it that no one else try
> to make money on it either. Beyond the many reasons for not attempting
> to publish the info I'd send, many of the contributors names are signed
> at the bottom of their info and I have not asked any of these people for
> permission to publish any of this info. Anyway, you see what I'm getting
> at - I think these notes would be helpful but only want to offer them
> for the benefit of planning a PCT thru hike, not to upset anyone who may
> have contributed or to have someone else illegally publish the info.
>
> With that in mind, the 65 pages covers - Pack, tent, bag, clothing,
> kitchen, weather, maps, water, footwear, hygiene, first aid, resupply,
> food notes, drift box, shipping fuel, bugs, shoes, misc. Also, to be
> clear - this stuff is not edited, they're simply written notes I've made
> myself or pasted info from others - so there's bound to be some
> redundancy or some conflict. I'd leave it to the reader to use the info
> to suit their needs, and view it subjectively.
>
> Any POV's on this idea would be welcomed, and if anyone wants me to
> email them a copy of the file, I'm at maurer@earthlink.net
>
> --
> Mike Maurer

Mike it's so funny to see you post this because I have a 53-page Word
document is clips with a slight focus on the AT.  It focuses especially on
light weight packing.  Mine is also unedited notes and clips with about 2/3
or more attributed (after I thought to start doing it.)  But a hearty ditto
to your statement regarding sources, publishing, etc.  These are just my
scrapbook.

I'll mail you mine if you'll mail me yours.  I'm going to save it in Word 6
or so and zip it.  I've also alphabetized mine by topic, e.g., FOOD,
WEATHER, TENT, etc, which makes it easier to keep adding to it.  It was a
gargantuan job to alphabetize, and I wish I'd done it from the start but now
it's lovely.

Anyone else wants it, e-mail me, please and thanks and I'll send it along.

Great minds, Mike,
Leslie