[pct-l] Re: Reading material

Here's my wink-and-a-grin my recommendation of what
*not* to read.

If you haven't already read it, do NOT read "The
Monkey Wrench Gang" shortly after returning from your
thru-hike.

Particularly if you're having luck finding a job.

Moreso if you're eager to get your non-hiking life in
gear, but are having trouble.

Still more if you desperately want to make a
contribution, and all you can think of is the
devastation in Washington, with all of its clear-cuts.

I had been looking for work for about 6 months after
my hike at the time I finally got around to reading
this book.  It's a darn good thing that I found work
about a month later, otherwise who knows what might
have transpired.

I was ready to go.

I'd lived in the desert.  I'd carried a light pack.
I'd moved nearly 40 miles in a day, when the need was
there.

I'd seen poorly-made logging roads, erosion from
overharvesting of trees, areas where the government
completely sold out our natural resources (if we're
going to sell it, we should at least get a decent
price!), trails destroyed by ATV users...

Hell, if I couldn't find work, maybe I could find some
other interesting way to spend my time.

Then again, thinking about it, maybe it's not a bad
idea to crack this one open shortly after a thru-hike.

;)

Iron Chef