[pct-l] Southern leg of trail

> I am interested in doing some of the lower leg of the PCT.  Starting at
Campo
> and going about 50 miles.  Hubby and I have some questions.
>
> 1) what is the weather like this time of year?

Hot and dry, but a slight chance of thunderstorms. Today was a "cool" summer
day in Campo: 90 degrees and 25% humidity. 40 miles up the trail in Mt.
Laguna it was 82* and 30%. Rain is rare, but summer thunderstorms are
possible.

If you were to hike 110 miles north from the border today, you would find
the trail CLOSED because of a brush fire which was started by lightning.
Last year in August the trail in Mt. Laguna was closed because it was
burning.

> 2) Water sources?

I haven't seen any recent reports, but would not count on natural sources or
caches. The only water I would consider reliable would be in the campgrounds
and towns listed in the PCT Guide.

> 3) Is there a transportation system that can get us back to our truck
after
> the trail?

Yes, but not conveniently. There's bus service in Campo and Cuyamaca, but
the routes only connect through El Cajon. See www.sdcommute.com . I'm
guessing it would be a two day ride.

> 4) Would we have to use bear resistant containers?

No. There have been a very few sighting of bears in San Diego County, and
virtually no one uses bear cans. Still, use common sense. There have
actually been more sightings of mountain lions, but these are also very
rare.

AsABat