[pct-l] Light Packs

Brian
I considered both as the finalists on my "short list", and went with the P2.
Having the sewn-on belt pouches helps organization a lot (sunbloc, Aquamira,
hand soap, Deet Spray and TP in one, Compass, lip balm, Juice S2 knife [very
effective against bears], 2 Photons, Ion lamp, pen, maps, trail guide,
tincture of Cayenne, head net and lemon candies in the other, i.e. access
without taking off the bag and losing momentum or the extra half pound of
even a light weight fanny pack).  The P2 (I remove the pouch unless I'm
planning on peak bagging because then the belt is removeable [special
add-on] and attaches to the belt) without the top pouch and top extension
(shouldn't have gotten the center zip) weighs 44.7 which is over a half
pound less than the Aether 60.  Even without the pouch, packed for 3 days
this weekend at Sonora Pass (16 pounds with food but no water), I have a
good 300 cubes excess room.  Having the Squall, Megalite and Montbell Inner
jacket helps keep volume and weight down.  Since I'll eat more daily when I
do the JMT starting Aug 25, it'll probably fill up the bag especially after
resupplying at Muir Ranch going SoBo.

There are Aether 60 in large (20+" torso length) sizes at Northern Mt.
Supply for $137.  The torso can be adjusted, a great feature, so after the
JMT, I'll decide.

I'd like to see your and Kurt's gear list.  Jim keeps his in his head but he
is a prodigous walker.

Gotta get on the road,
JD
PCT '04 GonnaBe