[pct-l] JMT update

Just finished a JMT hike 2 days ago.  I hiked it 25 years ago as an 18
year old, and returned this year with my wife to do it again.  We had a
fabulous time.

An update on conditions.  The only passes with significant snow were
Donahue, Muir, Mather and Forester.  Donahue, Mather and Forester had
partially obscured  trails on the north sides only.  We had only a
little trouble finding the trail, and nearly always had the trail in
site.  Of course, the snow is melting fast, so conditions are improving
rapidly.  The south (really east) side of Muir Pass was pretty well
snowbound when we descended on the morning of July 5th.  This required
just some careful attention to the map, and the trail was found pretty
easily.  Footprints were not prevalent in the difficult areas of Muir
Pass, as everyone seemed to spread out, and prints melted away quickly.
  The north side of Muir was no problem, with very little snow on the
trail.  We carried an ice axe but did not use it anywhere (although we
both used our trekking poles for the snow slopes).  The weather was
typical Sierra superb.   VVR rocks.

We met at least 75 thru hikers on our trip south - too many to mention.
  It was a pleasure to meet all of them - as they showed us universal
good cheer and encouragement. We were a bit surprised to still be
encountering 5-8 thru hikers a day as far south as Glen Pass on July
7th. Our last section hiker was Mr. Zip, who climbed Whitney with us on
July 10th.

One more note as a recent convert to relatively lightweight hiking -
in 1978, we spent 20 days on the JMT under arduous loads.  This hike
went relatively easily in 14 days, although we did push ourselves early
on with some big days.  Gotta love the flexibility we got from our
lighter loads.  Wanna see some pics? If so, go to
http://www.pbase.com/dwilson/jmt_2003

Cheers,
Don