[pct-l] Hitching from Mazama

In a message dated 7/10/03 4:23:40 PM, wandering_bob@msn.com writes:

<< Getting a ride from the Harts Pass parking lot down to Mazama or Winthrop
is easy. However, once there, you're stuck. There is no public transportation
of any kind in any direction - Greyhound, local bus, etc - from either.
Seattle is an almost impossible (I know; I tried for hours) 150 mile hitch west. >>

I did the same thing -- sort of. I walked all the way from Hart's pass to
Mazama, starting out in 2 feet of snow and hiking down until I hit the snow line.
I camped and got up well before dawn and hiked on down to Mazama. Well,
almost. I was about 2 miles away when four old timers on their way to breakfast
picked me up and bought me breakfast when I told them of my adventure.
   And Rainy pass was closed due to a snowstorm accident involving a gas
truck. But it opened around 10, but like you say its hard to hitch there looking
like a homeless person. Most of the people aren't going over Rainy Pass on a
weekday in the Fall anyway. But after about 2 hours a young woman college
student from Bellingham picked me up and drove me right to the bus station. Fifteen
minutes later I was on the bus to Seattle, walked on down to the ferry
terminal from the bus station, rode over to Bremerton, caught the foot ferry to Port
Orchard where a friend who lives close by picked me up. I showered at her
house and we were at a Halloween Party 30 minutes later. After the party, I was
driven to my house, a short distance away. That's how my PCT trip ended.