[pct-l] whitney cables

The cables are on part of a long lateral, roughly switchback #50, where the
trail is cut into the side of the mountain instead of alongside it, creating a
three-walled tunnel if you will.  In early season the section is filled
floor-to-ceiling with ice, making the most reasonable climb the old route up the
snowfield instead of the trail.    The section, which is approximately 40 yards
long, has cables along the northern--open--side.   Without the cables, the
general public would be prevented from using the trail until mid-july most years.
While not terrifying, a fall would be a real bugger.  In fact, if the cables
weren't there, I doubt if the Forest Service would allow use of the trai until
it was clear.  It's a reasonable addition to the trail, considering its use.
 In my opinion, it wouldn't be a bad idea to close the Whitney Portal trail
down for a generation, but I know that won't happen.  I think the Forest
Service folks are doing the best they can given the circumstances and the funding.

If you pass a CCC trail crew repairing some of the riprap, water bars and
switchbacks--hard work done by good young people--stop and thank them.

john randall
birmingham, AL