[pct-l] Parking near JMT?

In early August a friend and I will be starting a leisurely thru-hike of the
John Muir Trail, starting in Yosemite and heading  south to  Mt. Whitney.
Several other people will be either joining us at certain points along the
way and/or leaving us at those points.

Our plans are complete except for two parking questions. Does anyone know
(1) where best to pre-position a car (for possibly as long as 1-2 weeks) in
the Mammoth Mtn area? And (2) is it OK to leave a car in the parking lot at
Whitney Portal for as long as 3 weeks (and if not, is there a place in Lone
Pine where a car can be safely left for that period of time)?

Thanks for your help!

Chuck