[pct-l] Trail Maintenance

Thank you. I find the attached post expressed very nicely. I could not agree more.

For those who don't agree with these thoughts, here are some suggestions to ponder:

If getting to the next resupply point as quick as possible is a prime objective when

hiking a trail, might I suggest Hwy 395 or its equivalent on your next outing. You

will find the shoulder wide and level with no blow downs or sharp branches to

negotiate. It is accessible to just about everyone, the resupply points will be plentiful,

and you will make much better time than you might on some rustic trail.

I have heard arguments and comments about the effort to get crews into an area,

the work involved with clearing an area, and the speed at which things grow back from

Georgia-Pacific and Boise Cascade when justifying the practice of clear cutting. And

they are correct, as are those who have posted and sent me e-mail about the effort of

trail maintenance. It is an effort and in time, it will all grow back, hopefully. Until then

I think we agree, it is not a pretty site/sight.

I will leave, as is, the comparison of the National Scenic Trails to an Interstate Hwy.

The statement makes its own points.

Keep those cards and letters coming.

Cheers,

Just Playing Thru

Sticking my nose in the trail maintenance thread:

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about trail construction and

maintenance--I figure I'll learn all about them when I start my

"too-old-to-do-much-serious-hiking-so-I-guess-it's-time-to-volunteer" phase

of life. But one thing that has never ceased to leave me totally gobsmacked

is the sheer power of unregulated boots to not only create and establish,

but thoroughly maintain some really kewl trails. Some of the most

challenging and interesting routes in my part of the world [Pacific

Northwest] are those that, according to guide books and Old-Timers'

descriptions, have simply been beaten into existence by generations of

thick-soled nature lovers who apparently had neither the patience nor the

inclination to wait for someone else to build a nice, gentle, G-rated, "take

grandma and the kids" kinda trail to the irresistable lakes, peaks, and

other natural goodies that lay in store for anyone with the gumption to

reach out and take them. Interestingly, it's these same hiker-made trails

that, because of their intrinsic usefulness and aesthetic appeal, seem to

insinuate themselves into the established order of things; they have a kind

of inevitability that makes you wonder if we really need the level of

official regulation that currently exists. There's something uniquely

thrilling about a wilderness path unsullied by Forest Service chainsaws,

Power Bar wrappers, poodle crap, and the unworthy steps of ten thousand

weekend warriors.