[pct-l] It's the water

I notice that Ray Jardine does not treat his water, believing that he is
immune to concentrations of giardia present in mountain lakes and streams. So we,
who are always keen on ways to reduce pack weight, have some attitudes to iron
out if we want to advance our goal of achieving minimum necessary weight
 Is a filter just dead weight? That depends if you believe giardia "studies,"
real scientific tests or a multitude of stories and statistics that show
carrying a filter doesn't achieve the intended purpose (not counting
malfunctions). If indeed the people you are with are a far greater threat to your
intestinal fortitude than the water you drink, then a filter is dead weight. Seems a
simple medical experiment would answer some basic questions.
  The problem is with misinformation given out by lawsuitphobic
administrators who prominently announce that all water should be treated or boiled. The
inevitable impression is given that water is to be considered a threat to our
health, and if we do pick up some bug, it is inevitable that water will be blamed
instead of poor hygiene or food past its prime.
 Since this danger was impressed upon the public by people in authority, the
fear of untreated water isn't going to go away any time soon
  So the question of taking a filter is the same as the question of whether
to take crampons on a climb. Do they really help, or is this a good place to
dump unnecessary weight? And in Ray's metaphysical mode, is it a good thing to
poison -- mentally or physically -- one of the four sources of life? Guess if
you're metaphysical, you get to dump 8 to 14 ounces, but watch out for that
Gorp! All others keep pumping and gorping